Monday, May 12, 2008

Music: another true life nature adventure

first, Music fails me. 5/9/2008

John Brown was bad. Opera IS bad. At some point in the history of man a snobby (and evil) Italian man invented an insidious joke....hijinks ensue adding large women with horns....the joke continues on, at some point mating with real theater to produce their bastard spawn; musicals.

Second, Music redeems itself. 5/11/2008

My sister had me come along with her to Lawrence to see a show at the Granada. She was going to see Josh Ritter and the opening act was a girl named Dawn Landes.
Landes was good. Kinda folk and alternative, which maybe just be the new folk. iTunes says rock. Her showmanship needs a little work. One song, whose first line is 'we are kids in a play, she introduced with 'this song is about kids in a play'. I just don't think it needs the set up she thinks it does. I found out later the name of that particular song was indeed, Kids in a Play. I would see her again if she comes around though.
Josh Ritter was very entertaining. Even iTune more trouble than usual classifying him, Rock Folk, Alternative, you could throw blues in there if you wanted. It was all very good, very skillful. I was surprised, considering I've only heard about two of his songs before. I would definitely recommend a listen.

Conclusion: Opera, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

My question is this: Why is it in five minutes, five people can display more skill in story telling, music and emotion than opera can in three hours?

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

It's true, opera takes a looong time to get to the point. So, did you email everybody you wanted to read this? Since you haven't posted in ages?

10:29 PM

 
Blogger Heather K said...

Ummm, for the record I think the Germans were responsible for the women in horns.

And be nice to my musicals or I will come perform the entire opening number of Legally Blonde: The Musical all by myself in your front yard!!!!!!!

(It is titled, "Oh My God You GUys!"

11:23 PM

 
Blogger macaela said...

Opera can be very evil - it was the only class I ever flunked. Hey you posted! See you in July!

10:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home